5 Weeks Old Summary

For a while it looked like I needed to change the name of my blog to The Dog Blog or something because it was all about Murphy. Now it's definitely turning into a Mom blog. I thought about changing the name to something a little more family oriented, but this has definitely been an adventure so I suppose it still fits.

Every few weeks I want to write down a summary of where Beckett's at, not only for memories, but for something to refer to when we have another baby.

Beginning of week six

Eating
Beckett takes almost exactly 20 minutes to eat. This is so nice. I feed him each time he wakes up rather than letting him be upset until it's the next scheduled time to eat, but this is anywhere from every 2 hours and 45 minutes to 3 1/2 hours between feedings. I'm really trying to get him on a 3 1/2 hour schedule if I can, but it's still a work in progress.

Foods to Avoid
So far the only thing I've noticed that really bothers him is either hummus or bell peppers. I'm not sure which one because I was eating them together for a few days before I figured it out, but I don't dare try either one again.

Bottle
Two days ago he took his first bottle on his first try! I'm using the Tommee Tippee bottles because they are said to be an easy transition from nursing. For this reason Mark likes to call them the Tommee Titty bottles. I'm going to pump in the evenings before Mark gets home and then he can feed Beckett before bed. Supposedly the mom isn't supposed to be the one to give them the bottle because they will know the difference and get upset, but I have done it twice so far and it hasn't been a problem. This will definitely make church and leaving for evening photo shoots much easier! I'm still trying to figure out the best way to stock up milk in the freezer to have as a back up. I tried pumping 90 minutes after he ate in the morning, but by the time he woke up I didn't have enough milk to feed him and I had to use what I had pumped. If anyone has suggestions on the best way to do this it would sure be helpful!

Sleeping
If we stay at home for the day his schedule is pretty predictable. He stays awake for 1 hour and 45 minutes after the first time he eats in the morning. Other than that he stays awake between 60 and 90 minutes between each nap (including eating). Then he sleeps until it's time to eat again. If he makes it to 3 1/2 hours I will wake him up, but he usually wakes up on his own right around the 3 hour mark.

Night Time
I'm having a hard time getting him to go to bed at the same time each night, but I think that's because I haven't started beginning the day at the same time each morning. I'm just grateful to sleep in as long as he will let me, but I think it's time to try to begin each day at the same time for some consistency. Lately he has been going to bed around 8:30 and then I will feed him once more before I go to bed around 10:00 and then put him right back to bed. Even if it hasn't been 3 hours I feed him anyway to really fill him up for the night. Since I've started doing this he can usually go 4-5 hours through the first stretch of the night. After that he goes back to waking every 3 hours, but that first chunk of sleep I get is just wonderful.

Clothes
I just broke out the 3 months clothes. Some newborn things still fit, but they are tight. I washed and dried all the 3 month clothes in case they shrink. They are still a little big, but he can wear them. He is just in between sizes right now!

Skills
-He rolled from his stomach to his back on the day he was 4 weeks old.
-He can track brightly colored toys if you move them slowly back and forth about a foot away from his eyes.
-He definitely sees faces and looks into your eyes when you're sitting close enough.
-He can hold up his head really well for about 10 seconds.

Schedule-ish
7:00 am- Eat
9:00 am- Sleep
10:00 am- Eat
11:00 am- Sleep
1:30 pm- Eat
3:00 pm- Sleep
4:30 pm- Eat
6:00 pm- Sleep
7:00 pm- Eat
7:30 pm- Bath
8:30 pm- Bedtime
10:00 pm- Eat
Sleep
1:30 am- Eat
Sleep
4:30 am- Eat
Sleep


Check out that growing belly! Feeeeed meeeee!!! 

0 comments: