Dry Brushing


I am truly a hippy/mountain woman at heart. My need for a job and steady income is the only reason I do my hair, wear shoes and/or a bra. If I could spend my days doing nothing but pottery, perfecting my dreadlocks, snowboarding, hiking, and frolicking on the beach while wearing flowy skirts and singing Kumbaya I most certainly would. I also enjoy a heated house, the ability to buy good food, a fluffy bed, a reliable car, and even the satisfaction of having a job I love. Thus I must do things like eat hummus, wear chacos, and do yoga during the week to keep my flower child happy while being a working woman. The latest addition to my weekly granola routine is dry brushing.

Dry brushing is simply using a brush with natural (not synthetic) bristles that are fairly stiff on your skin. You brush your skin in circular motions starting at your feet and hands and working towards your heart. It's best to do this first thing in the morning right before you shower. Make sure you stand in the tub because you sluff (this word makes me feel ill) off a lot of dead skin! The result is radiating, smooth-as-a-baby's-bottom skin.

Apparently you can buy them at most health food stores, but when I asked my fellow hummus eating health food cashier, she looked at me as if I asked if they sell deep fried twinkies. It turns out they had them in the beauty isle near all things Burt's Bees related.

Dry brushing stimulates the body's circulation and lymphatic system, exfoliates skin, helps remove toxins, and is incredibly rejuvenating. I feel like I could run a mile when I'm done. This is saying a lot for a person that can run 1 block before feeling like I'm going to throw up my lungs. I've read that some people have tried it before bed and then have a hard time sleeping because you feel so awake afterwards!

If you're looking to feel alive with the help of something other than caffeine and to exfoliate your skin then grab a dry brush today. Only $9.99 if you call within the next 10 minutes.



0 comments: