Six Week Bran Muffins

Mmmm I love treats that are healthy! These muffins are so good, I've been making them since high school. If you have the Food Nanny Rescues Dinner Cookbook you can find the recipe in there. And yes, my name is mentioned. Look on page 238 if you you don't believe me. The batter stays good up to 6 weeks so you can keep it in your fridge and always make fresh muffins fast! They taste best when they're cool, and for a less healthy version you can put yummy delicious cream cheese on top. And if you're a big fan of muffins like these you should also try these Apple Muffins I posted a while ago.



5 cups whole wheat flour
4 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon (I like extra)
6 cubs bran flakes cereal
3 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 cup canola oil
1 quart buttermilk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

I think nutmeg might be a nice addition too if you're feeling adventurous, but I haven't tried it yet.

1. Combine the flour, making soda, salt, and cinnamon in a very large bowl. Add the cereal and sugar, and mix.

2. Beat the eggs in a large bowl. Blend in the oil, buttermilk, and vanilla. Pour the egg mixture into the cereal mixture and stir well.

3. Transfer the batter to a lage plastic container with a tight-fitting lid and refrigerate until ready to use. The batter will keep for 6 weeks.

4. When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 375 degrees and generously grease muffin cups or use cupcake liners. Do not stir the batter before filling the cups about 2/3 full. Bake until tops spring back when touched, about 20 minutes.

4 comments:

Sherylen said...

I can't wait to try these. Can you add anything just before you bake them like crazens or chocolate chips?

Jamie Walker said...

I haven't tried, but I'm sure you definitely could! They are to die for!

Honey Bee said...

One of my fave Food Nanny recipes! Thanks for being the "source"!

Honey Bee said...

Have you ever put raisins or crasins in the batter for the 6 weeks. All okay? Have you ever put chopped nuts in the batter? Do they get soggy over time? We used the woodsy "All Bran" (not the flakes) and it still turns out spectacular. Right now, I am putting the crasins and nuts, just on the top. But it would be faster, if I could just "mix in". Thanks for any tips.