The Day Little Nolan Was Born

Our little Nolan decided to make his arrival just one day before his due date, and one day before I was going to be induced. I couldn't have been happier. I woke up around 5:00 AM Sunday morning. While I laid there debating if it was even worth it to get up and go to the bathroom for the 10th time that night, I said a little prayer and asked (begged) that I would go into labor that day and that I wouldn't have to be induced the following morning. Within minutes I had my first painful contraction. They continued throughout the morning and around 9:00 or so my parent's came down. I wanted to be certain this was the real thing before they drove all the way to our house. Three days before when they had come, I went to the hospital and then came back home a few hours later. I was going to give it a few more hours, but when I couldn't walk or talk through the contractions Mark called them and said they should come.

We all went on a walk to the park when they got here so I could continue to time how far apart the contractions were. By 11:00 AM they were getting very painful and although I was doing ok, I didn't want to drive 30 minutes to the hospital, take another 30 to check in, and then be told that there was an hour wait for the anesthesiologist. We checked in and I was so relieved to hear that I was dilated to a 5/6. If they were going to tell me I was still at a 3 like a few days before, I was sure I would start crying. They checked me into a room, and my Mom came to the hospital while my Dad and brother stayed at my house with Beckett. I was nervous, but I also felt surprisingly calm.

It took a little while before I could have the epidural because they wanted to give me a full bag of fluid though my IV first. My nurse was super sweet, but it took several tries to get the IV in and those things hurt! The wonderful anesthesiologist came walking through the doors like an angel. I didn't feel a single thing with my first epidural and I was hoping for the same experience this time. It was a bit more painful than I hoped; I only crushed Mark's fingers slightly, but it was actually not even as bad as the IV pokes.

Once the epidural kicked in, they broke my water and I was at an 8! It was only like 3:00 pm at this point. Things were speeding along compared to my first labor.  Everyone told me how much quicker things would be this time around and I was certain I would be holding my sweet boy within an hour or two! By 4:30 PM I was at a 10 and they said I could start pushing. This is where I was hoping I would be able to say, "I pushed 3 times and there he was!" Boy was I wrong. I pushed for the next 4 hours with a 30 minute break somewhere in the middle. I pushed 2 hours with Beckett and I thought that was long! Although it was exhausting, I was so happy not to be in pain. Thank you epidural.

At 8:36 PM on March 13, 2016 Nolan McGregor Walker came to join our family. His little cry was the sweetest sound and something I had been waiting to hear for a long time. He weighed 9 lbs 1 oz and was 23 in. long! Everyone seemed so surprised, but I knew he was going to be a big baby! Mark got to cut the cord this time while they suctioned his lungs. They handed him to me once he was breathing well and the rest of the night is a little foggy from there.

My Dad, brother, Beckett, and mother and father in-law came into the room soon after that. I'm so happy that we have Beckett meeting Nolan for the first time on video because I was pretty out of it at this point. Beckett asked if he could talk and then said "look at his lips!" He gave Nolan a teddy bear and named him Baby Nolan Bear. I remember feeding Nolan and feeling so weak I was afraid I was going to drop him. The nurses kept talking to me and I kept telling Mark that I didn't know what anyone was saying. I wanted nothing more than to hold my new baby in my arms because I had been waiting for that moment for months, but I also just wanted him to go to the nursery where I knew he was safe because I felt like I was passing out. A little after midnight they brought him to our room to eat. I had a few hours of sleep, a little food, and I felt 1000 times better. The first time I nursed him I was simultaneously throwing up, so this second time was a much sweeter experience.

I absolutely cannot believe how dark his hair and skin are. I think he will be like his big brother in so many ways, but looks will not be one of them. This is our third day at home and we are adjusting to our new little family. Beckett is doing really well and loves everything about Nolan. I think it's been a little bit of a struggle for him because we have to tell him "no" to more things than he is used to, but he is trying very hard. The first night home I think I slept only 2 hours. He was still gagging on a lot of amniotic fluid and I was so nervous he was going to choke in his sleep. I'm recovering much quicker than the first time, and after a good night's sleep last night, I feel great today. I can't believe how lucky and blessed I am to be able to have another little boy. I am definitely singled out, but I couldn't love my three boys anymore.