5 Month Summary



He isn't technically 5 months until Wednesday, but thanks to a super long nap, I finished this post early.

Becket is almost half a year old. Half a year sounds like such a long time, but I feel like he is still so new to our family. In someways I feel like we are still adjusting to having a baby, but in other ways it seems like he has been with us forever. He is learning new things every day, and so am I. Sometimes I apologize to him because there is so much I don't know and I am still learning; like the time I let him get diaper rash, or when I clipped his fingernail too short. I just hope that in Heaven he saw that Mark and I were kind of spazzy and he knew what he was getting himself into.

Size
Our little chunker weighs almost 19 pounds. He is wearing 9 and 12 month pajamas and onsies, and 6 month pants. He's in size 4 diapers. Besides the newborn diapers, I have only ever bought one large box of diapers in each size. I even have size 2 diapers in storage that he grew out of before we could use the entire box. Maybe Sam's Club isn't the way to go for us?

Four Month Sleep Regression
I have heard for some people the four month sleep regression can be horrible. He had one week where he woke up more often than usual, and I definitely noticed some changes in his sleeping patterns, but for the most part we made it through without hardly a scratch. I'm very blessed with a good little sleeper...... as long he is is swaddled.

Swaddling
I've already written an entire post on our challenges with swaddling (here). I have come to the conclusion that I will continue to swaddle him until he is a teenager if I need to. He can make it through a nap without being swaddled, but definitely not through the night. I'm currently on the lookout for a swaddle product big enough for him, or a pattern to make my own little velcro blanket.

Reflux
Beckett is still on reflux medication. I hate giving it to him. He doesn't seem to mind, but it smells horrid. Every few weeks I try going without it and end up covered in massive amounts of baby puke. His dose is getting smaller, but I can't wait for the day that he doesn't need it anymore.

Sleep
He is in between 4 and 5 naps a day right now. It seems to depend on if he has a day at home, or a day with lots of time in the car. He also dozes off on the drive to and from the school. That doesn't really count as a nap to me, but if he sleeps in the car at all then he is more likely to stay awake longer until his actual nap. At night he goes to bed between 7:30 and 8:00 and wakes up between 6:00 and 6:45. He sleeps all the way through the night a few times a week, but most nights wakes up once around 3:00 or 4:00 to eat. It used to be really hard for me to fall back asleep after, but rather than reading to pass the time while he is eating, I've learned that if I close my eyes and don't completely wake up then I fall back asleep without a problem. Sometimes in the morning I can't even remember if he woke up in the night or not.

Solids
I'm seriously counting down the days until Beckett starts solids. I'm still planning to do BLW (I wrote more about that here), and I just ordered the BLW cookbook, a crinkle cutter, some fancy bibs, and sippy cups. We are ready to go! So far Beckett has tasted one little dab of chocolate frosting, gravy, maple syrup, and chewed on a piece of licorice and a carrot for all of two seconds (and possibly other things I'm not aware of that his grandparents have given him). He hasn't really eaten anything yet. Because the first several weeks of feeding him solids will be just for fun and he most likely won't swallow much, we may begin a little early.

Sick
My little guy is sick for the first time. We're waiting for the results to come back to make sure it isn't whooping cough, but so far it just seems like a little cold. He is a bit wheezy when he breaths, coughing, and a little stuffy, but he still seems fairly happy and is sleeping like a champ. I have the humidifier going and his room feels muggier than Florida. I've been putting Baby Vicks on his chest and DoTerra On Guard mixed with olive oil on his feet.

Dairy
I tried going back on dairy over Christmas break. When he didn't seem to be bothered at all within 24 hours of me inhaling a chocolate shake, I went to the store and stocked up on all the dairy products I've been missing out on. Within 48 hours he was crying and fussy non stop. I felt absolutely horrible. It's one thing to watch your kids be sick and feel sad for them, but it's 100 times worse when you know they are sick and it's your fault. He got his payback by having the most explosive diaper yet, while we were in the car. I don't know that I care to even try having dairy again until I'm done nursing him. I just tried ice cream made with coconut milk and although it's a little pricey, it is definitely delicious and will satisfy my ice cream addiction.

Skills
Beckett rarely rolls over, but he can totally do it from his stomach to back no problem. I even think he could go from his back to stomach if he really tried, but he has no desire to. I am very excited for him to be mobile, but I know that everything will become much more challenging once that happens so I'm going to savor this stationary phase while I can. We really have to work for a giggle, but when we get one it's just the best. He's getting better and better at reaching and grabbing for things. Standing seems to be his preference over sitting. And munching on his hands is definitely his forte.

Schedule
As I've said before, Becket's "schedule" is still more of a routine than a schedule. The morning and evenings are the same, but the middle of the day is always a little different. Until he is down to 1 or 2 naps I don't think that naps and eating will be at the same time each day. He seems pretty flexible, his babysitter is super flexible, I think I'm the only one that would love if each day was pretty predictable. Well I finally realized I'm in this thing called "parenthood" and nothing will ever be predictable again.

6:30 Wake up, eat, and get dressed.
7:15 Drive to work
7:30-7:45 Hang out with me at work
7:45-8:30 or 9:00 sleep
The rest of the day he is usually up for 90 minutes between is 45 minute naps and eats when he wakes up.
3:30-4:00 Hang out with me at work until I leave at 4:00
4:00-4:30 Snooze on the drive home
4:30 Eat
6:00 Sleep (catnap)
6:30 Eat
7:00 Bath
7:45 Eat
8:00 Bed time
  

0 comments: