Baby class? Check- 33 Weeks

I had a sudden realization that I could have this baby in as little as a month if he decided to come early. I highly doubt that will happen, but it is a possibility. In fact, just because it is so disgustingly hot, I'm sure I'll be lucky enough to go past my due date.

Yesterday we finally got to take the how-to-have-a-baby class and tour at the hospital. That means the only things I have left to do that are crucial before he comes is get a car seat, pack the hospital bag, and pre-register at the hospital. I still have a very long list of things that need to be done and items that need to be purchased, but those are the most important ones. Once those three things are complete and baby's lungs are developed, he can come whenever he wants. After watching those birth videos at the class yesterday, I say the smaller the better!

I don't feel like I learned anything from the class that I couldn't have read about online, but it definitely helped accomplish two things: I feel better about the epidural than I did before, and it was a good experience to take a tour of the hospital.

I have avoided watching any videos or even reading much about the epidural because I was hoping that in this case, ignorance is bliss. After seeing that little devil of a needle, and watching how it's done, I actually feel much better about it. I know you tough ladies out there that don't even use an epidural are probably rolling your eyes, but I'm not like you. An epidural is not for everyone, having a baby without an epidural is not for everyone, and having a baby without one is definitely just not for me. We all have our talents. Some of you were blessed with the ability to withstand hours of pain and torture, I was blessed with other talents like french braiding my own hair and playing the piano.

I keep hearing that I need to write a birth plan. Every time I think about it, all that comes to mind to write down is, "Epidural immediately please". That's it. That's all I could come up with. I suppose there are a few other things I have in mind, but I don't know that it's worth writing a "plan". I don't really want to be induced, I don't want a c-section unless absolutely necessary, only my husband and mom are allowed in the room, no visitors except our parents until we're ready, and I would love a giant raspberry banana shake when it's all over. Maybe round two I'll have more of an idea about what I do and do not want, but since it's my first time I have no idea what to expect. I've never had a surgery or even stayed in a hospital before. I'm just going to trust my doctors and nurses, go with the flow, and hope for the best!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

A lot of writing a birth plan has to do with coming up with plans for the unexpected. Like if you do end up having a c-section, you can ask for 2 sets of stitches instead of the faster one, which makes you more likely to have a successful vaginal birth after c section (VBAC) without tearing your uterus. Or saying you want to wait a few minutes to cut the cord so that rich cord blood can drain into your baby and help with his blood sugar, or if you want skin to skin and try to breastfeed right after birth within that hour window when babies are the most awake. Even if you're getting an epidural, it's still good to make a plan for things you do want, or in case something goes wrong. I can send you some info if you do decide to write one. And good for you for taking a baby class and touring the hospital early!

Mandy and Brian said...

One of my friend's doctors asked her if she had a birth plan and when she said, "No, not really" the doctor said, "That's ok,because all you can really plan is to have your plan ruined." That sounds pretty cynical, but I think that doctor simply meant that if you have your heart set on something specific, you just really can't count on anything going the way you "planned" but I think it is a good idea to have an idea of what you want in case of different possibilities. I didn't write anything down, just discussed things I wanted with Brian so if I was out of it or couldn't tell the doctors or nurses, he could. And not that I think you would, but don't let anyone make you feel guilty about wanting and getting an epidural!