So What's The Skinny?


What's the skinny on being fat or skinny?

It's a known fact that every woman in the world is concerned with how her body looks. I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing. It's one thing to obsess over having the "ideal body", but it's another to strive to be healthy and happy with yourself. Even if we all weighed 110 lbs we would still find something about ourselves that we weren't crazy about. Well my friends, it's time to look at the glass half full, not half empty.

I've always tried my best to eat healthy and be active. I don't believe in crazy diets or depriving myself of treats. I will admit there are two times in my life that I went momentarily insane: the time I tried HCG, and when my roommate and I were convinced we could do the Lemon Detox Diet. Ha! Both of these experiences were enough to convince me that exercising and eating all things in moderation is the right plan for me.

I've always been secretly envious of those people that will forever have a flat stomach. They could gain 50 pounds and everything would just get.... bigger, but their stomach would still be flat. I will never be the person with this body type. I have what I call the chicken body type. When I was about 15, I lost the 6-pack those long hours at gymnastics practice gave me. Even at the times I've been my skinniest, I still have a little jiggle to my stomach. Basically it's the first place I gain weight, and the last place I lose it. However, I am convinced that my bum will forever stay the same. If I suddenly lost all control and broke into Baskin Robbins I would gain 70 lbs, but my legs and bum would remain exactly the same size as before. I'm pretty sure I would just look like a chicken: big body, big breasts, little legs. This vision of resembling a chicken is motivation enough to hit the treadmill.

My stomach has not always been my favorite area, my arms have a little lunch lady action going on at times, and let's be honest... a little junk in the trunk would help prevent the occasional saggy grandma bum look. These "flaws" are incredibly minuscule compared to all the wonderful things I can think of. My body is healthy and strong, and I am grateful every day for what it is capable of. Yoga has been a big contributor to my new attitude. I'm learning just how strong my body can be, and how beautiful and precious every breath is that we take.

When there is something I'm not happy with, it's up to me to change it. When I'm tired and grouchy, I need more sleep. When I feel chubby and sluggish, I need to eat better. When my skin is dull and dry, I need more water. And the answer to solving any negative feelings is.... exercise. Nothing beats those mood-boosting endorphins. When something is making me have negative feelings about myself, I can change it.

When I do things to make myself feel good, it's hard to focus on the negative. Sunlight, exercise, fresh air, lots of water, fruits and veggies, and of course the occasional treat, are my recipe for a positive body image. When I get dressed in the morning I want to notice the things that make me happy, not the minor imperfections that can so easily consume our minds.

Consider the things that make you feel good about yourself, and make those things a priority! Remember, glass half full.

3 comments:

Anna said...

Love this. After a week-long vacation and absolutely no diet control, it's time for me to get back on the healthy wagon. I don't know what kind of body type you'd call it, but I gain weight equally everywhere, legs, stomach, boobs, arms. But like you, my stomach is the last place to lose it.

Unknown said...

funny that you posted this... I've been talking about weight issues lately. I agree with you 100%. If you're tired-sleep, dry skin-water, sluggish-work out!
Glad some one else is sharing their thoughts on the same struggles.
And silly tummy fat! I think it's the worst. {it's tummy and arms for me, but praise God for exercise right!}
Haven't left a comment in a while but have still been readin' up on The CP. I think you're great!

Kristen said...

I love this post! It's so easy to get caught up in "skinny". Healthy is what we really should be focusing on!