1. Find what pictures you would like to use. One of my favorite sites for finding great pictures is We Heart It.
2. Now you need to resize the picture to fit as a picture link on your blog. You can do this through programs such as Photoshop, iPhoto, Pickik etc... I'm going to show you an example using Picnik because it's free. You can download the Picnik app through Facebook HERE. Upload your picture.
3. Go to the "Edit" tab. You can resize the picture two ways: If you want to use the entire picture then select "Resize". If you want to use a portion of the picture then select "Crop".
4. The size you choose is up to you. The pictures I use for my links are 200 x 50. Make sure you remember what size you pick for your first picture, because you will probably want each of them to be the same.
5. Once you have resized your picture, it's time to add text. Under the "Create" tab select "Text". This is the fun part. Try different fonts and colors to find what you like. Make sure that the text will be easy to read once it is on your blog. There are many more options in Picnik you can play with too like adding boarders or shadows. Save the picture to your computer.
6. In order for you to be able to use the picture you created as a link, you will need a website to host your picture. My favorite site to use is Photo Bucket. It just takes a minute to create an account. Then upload your picture.
8. To find the code you need to put in your HTML box, go back to the photo you uploaded in Photo Bucket. By putting your cursor over the picture, several codes will appear. Click the HTML Code. This will automatically copy to your clipboard.
10. Now you need to decide where you would like the viewer to go once they click on the picture. Wherever it is, you will replace part of the code with the web address. For example: when people click on my "Blogging Tips" button, I want them to go to the Blogging Tips page I created at the following link: http://markandjamiewalker.blogspot.com/p/blogging-tips.html. To find out how to create pages see my tutorial here.
13. Depending on the size of your picture links, you may need to widen your blog and adjust the margins. You can see my tutorial on that here.
If you have any questions or problems please leave me a comment or e-mail me at email@example.com.