Decisions


“And then there is the most dangerous risk of all -- the risk of spending your life not doing what you want on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later.” - Randy Komisar

How traveling full time would affect our family was, in many ways, a no brainer. But financially, we weren't sure if it was the "smartest" decision. Quitting my job, selling our house, selling our belongings.... these were not easy decisions. In the end, I actually do feel like this was a smart move for us financially, but even if it wasn't.... we have always based our decisions on what's best for our boys, not our budget. I've turned down many job opportunities for the chance to spend more time with them, and I have not ever regretted it. I have a feeling I will not regret any of the life changing decisions we've made recently either. 

When we were still trying to decide if this was the best decision, I decided to look at everything from the perspective of how I would feel about this when I'm old. When I'm lying on my death bed, am I going to be thinking about a house with granite counter tops and fancy appliances? Will I care about the closet full of cute clothes I once had? Nope. But I am going to remember the time I spent with my family, the adventures we went on, and the experiences we had together. I can't imagine I will ever look back and regret selling our house and all of our things, to do something that many people only talk about. 

I don't want to wait my whole life until retirement to travel. By then my body will hurt, I'll be too old to do anything to exciting, and I won't get to experience it with my kids. Everything may not be perfect right now, but will there ever be a perfect time to do this? There will always be jobs that pay more, family that is hard to leave, and 9000 other reasons that we should stay. But for every one reason we shouldn't go, I can think of two that we should. 


0 comments: