4 Months Old


I can't believe my chunky monkey is 4 months old! That's 1/3 of the way to being a year old. He's squishy, smiley, and sweet as can be. This next month will be interesting... for many babies it's the dreaded 4 month sleep regression. It's also when all the fun things like rolling and sitting really begin!

Eating
4 months is when many babies move to a 3.5 or even 4 hour schedule.... awake two hours, sleep two hours, and eat. Not this guy. He is still on a 2.5 schedule because his naps are still short and I feed him each time he wakes up. When he takes a bottle he usually drinks around 4 oz. We give him one occasionally since I will be going back to work soon and I want him to be used to taking one. I've started giving him "food". He wants so badly to be involved when we're eating, because he is obviously starving. I've started giving him things to suck on like carrots, cucumbers, strawberries, etc... That way he is getting a taste, but not really needing to digest anything. I believe the recommendation for solids is still 5 months, but I'm going to ask my doctor if I could start a little earlier because he seems ready!

Sleeping
Nolan still loves his 45 minute naps. He used to take a longer one occasionally, but not anymore. 45 minutes on the dot, every time. I've been told that 6 months is the magical time most chronic 45 minute nappers begin to sleep longer. He is awake for 90 minutes, sleeps 45, eats, and then we repeat. He generally wakes up between 6:30 and 7:00 AM, and goes to bed at 7:00 PM. I feed him once before I go to bed around 10, and then he wakes up 1-2 times during the night to eat. During the day he sleeps in his crib. At night I'm still using the Rock n' Play in my room. I'm very tempted to move him into his room at night, especially so he is in his crib, but the thought of climbing the stairs in the middle of the night does not sound fun. Perhaps he will just continue sleeping in our room until he is done nursing. Many nights Beckett still comes downstairs in the middle of the night and sleeps on the floor by our bed. 2 years ago I would have died if you told me both of my kids would be sleeping in my room, but lately I don't mind it one bit. There's something really sweet about being the only person awake in the middle of the night, and looking around my room to see all 3 of my boys fast asleep. 

Swaddling
I purchased the Zippadee Zip sleep sack this week. I'm going to continue swaddling him in the velcro swaddle blankets as long as I can, but once he starts to roll over while swaddled, we'll transition to the Zippee. I'm praying it works because I had a very hard time weaning Beckett out of swaddling. 

Stats
Weight: 19 lbs
Size: 9 months

Likes
Facing forward, sitting up, car rides, stroller rides, standing up, peek-a-boo, bath time, sucking on ice cubes, and food. 

Dislikes
Tummy time, laying down, and not being in on the action. 

Skills
Nolan is just starting to use his hands to grab things. He rolled over from his stomach to back like twice on accident over a month ago, but hasn't shown any signs of rolling since. He loves to stand up, and is just beginning to show signs of being able to sit on his own. He smiles very easily, and will laugh if you can figure out the perfect goofy thing to say or do. We're pretty much out of the spit up phase (thank heavens), and onto drooling. 

Schedule
7:00 Wake up and eat
8:30 Nap
9:30 Eat
11:00 Nap
11:45 Eat
1:15 Nap
2:00 Eat
3:30 Nap
4:30 Eat
7:00 Bed time
10:00 Dream feed, and then he usually wakes 1-2 times to eat in the night. 






0 comments: