Independence

He loves to sleep with his feet up on the crib bars.

Recently Beckett prefers to put himself to sleep more often than have me hold him. I'll hold him for a few minutes while he gets calm, but then he'll just get super squirmy and mad. Once I lay him down in his crib he rolls over and goes right to sleep. At church yesterday I was trying for a good 20 minutes to rock him to sleep in the mother's room. He wasn't having it. I finally laid him down on the chair and he was asleep in 2 minutes. I stood there not knowing what to do! I contemplated taking a seat on the floor and sitting in there until his nap was over haha. 

This is his first sign of independence and although getting him to put himself to sleep has been one of my biggest goals since he was born, it is kind of bittersweet. The first time he got mad until I laid him down and he went to sleep on his own I was surprised at how sad I felt, and even a little offended haha. I really am so happy that the transition from swaddling/rocking to sleep to self soothing has been such an easy one. Every day he is starting to look and act more like a little boy than my little newborn baby. There are so many things I'm looking forward to as he grows up, but there are also things that he grows out of I really miss. That's why it's so important to enjoy and cherish every minute of the phase we're in. 

0 comments: