Baby Food

Within the last week I've noticed Beckett starting to eat more and more food. He really wants to chew and swallow everything. He leans forward with his mouth open and it's like I can't shovel it in fast enough for him. Earlier I mentioned that I've been doing a combination of BLW and spoon feeding. I feel like when I spoon feed him he ends up eating a lot more food than if I just let him feed himself. The foods I spoon feed him have been apple sauce and smashed up vegetables. I really wanted him to try butternut squash so I decided to make his first real "baby food" puree: butternut squash, pears, apple sauce, cinnamon and nutmeg. I tasted a little and it turns out it tastes like the best pumpkin pie I've ever had. For dinner I've been giving him one fruit and one vegetable that he can feed himself, the butternut squash puree, and little bits of whatever meat we're having for dinner. It seems to be a good balance. I like that he can feed himself for a bit while I'm eating, but then when I'm ready I can give him some spoonfuls of the baby food. 

I'm not sure if it has to do with eating more solids now, but Beckett has been such a great sleeper the past few nights! I've been putting him to bed wide awake and it takes him about 10 minutes to put himself to sleep..... no tears so far. I couldn't be more relieved. The first few nights that we stopped swaddling he woke up 3-4 times. I usually fed him twice and let him put himself back to sleep the other times which usually took 3-5 minutes. The past 4 nights he has only woke up once the entire night. ONCE! I get 3-4 uninterrupted hours of sleep, feed him around 1 or 2, then I don't hear from him again until 6:30. I think he may be waking up to roll around and find his binky, but he must be going back to sleep right away because I don't hear a single peep. Between not being able to hear him and his preference for sleeping with his face straight down in the mattress, I'm a little bit of a nervous wreck and check on him several times. 

When he was two months old I made the mistake of thinking that because he was sleeping through the night then, he would always sleep through the night! I was just that lucky and had an angel baby. WRONG. Babies go through phases, sleep regressions, teething, sickness, and all sorts of other things. I don't want to make that mistake again and I'm sure that when teething begins his sleeping may regress a little, but for now things are going great. 

0 comments: