Our Bodies Are Made To Moooove


I'm getting older my friends (some of you might laugh, but it's true). I used to always laugh when people would say, "Oh my body hurts the older I get". I would think, "How does your entire body just hurt, I don't get it I feel great!" Oh my naive youth.  I understand them now, somedays I wake up feeling like I was just ran over by a train.

The funny thing is, after a day of work I wake up feeling a lot worse than after a day of hiking, snowboarding, or working out. On those days my muscles may be sore, but my body feels goooood. After a day of sitting at my desk and staring at the computer screen, my body is not happy. It craves movement, challenges, fresh air, and motion.

Our bodies are made to move. Life used to be much more physically demanding than it is today. I find it strange we pay memberships to gyms so we can go use a machine to walk on for an hour (I do it too, dang you Gold's Gym). I'm sure our ancestors would get a good laugh out of that. If your body is aching with old age and you're just tired, the very cure might be exercise. Get on a treadmill if you must, but even better, get outside and do something you love!


9 comments:

Jessica said...

One of the first thing I thought about this morning after waking up is that I have to start exercising more.

Jenn @ Peas and Crayons said...

Oh yes, totally made to move! Though mine wont move properly from all the dancing, kickboxing, spinning, and strengthtraining I crammed into this week.

I'm an old fart =)

xoXOxo
Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

Claire said...

always makes me laugh when people drive to the gym...so they can go on the treadmill for 15minutes....something wrong with that picture! x

Diana Smith said...

I know exactly what you mean! So many times I will get up from sitting and be like aching! I remember when I was young and that never happened!! Ugh old age!

Chelsea said...

Haha, i like this post :)
and thanks for the follow!
your blog is great!

EK said...

Couldn't agree more! I usually take Sundays off to rest, but I just had to get up and go for a bike ride! No worries, I didn't fall and injure myself :)

Mindi said...

I've been sick for a little over a week now and am sooo ready to start feeling better so that I can get outside and start running!

Lindsay said...

Ahhhh soo true! After watching his grandpa have some serious health problems from ZERO exercise over the past 20 yrs, my husband took up running and has never felt better....I myself will stick to walking ;)

Anna said...

Oh, I completely agree with EVERYTHING about this post!! I feel like a zombie after sitting at my work computer for 8 hours... I look forward to my workout after work because it makes me feel ALIVE again!